What is an apprenticeship?
Put simply, an apprenticeship is work with training. You’ll be employed and earn a wage, but you will also be studying at the same time. This may mean that you take a number of different qualifications, such as an NVQ or BTEC Diploma, or simply take an assessment at the end of the apprenticeship – it all depends on your job role and the type of apprenticeship that it links to.
All apprentices – no matter what their role or level – gain real industry experience, benefit from on-the-job training and receive high quality support from Learning Unlimited throughout their apprenticeship.
Apprenticeships – what you need to know
There’s a lot to consider when taking on an apprenticeship, but the key facts that you’ll need to know are pretty simple:
- If you’re aged 16-18 you will be paid at least the current minimum apprentice wage (please see gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates for the latest information.)
- If you’re aged 19 or over you are entitled to at least the minimum wage (many employers choose to pay more).
- You will receive paid annual leave just like any other employee.
- You will develop skills specific to the role and industry you are employed in.
- A work-based tutor from Learning Unlimited will visit you in your workplace to ensure you are developing the right skills.
- You may spend one day per week in a college setting or all of your time in the workplace – this will depend on your role and employer.
- Maths and English are key to ALL apprenticeships. You will be expected to achieve a pre-determined standard of both in order to achieve the qualification.
Most apprenticeships have a ‘framework’ which essentially outlines the skills you are expected to develop and lists the qualifications you will study as part of your apprenticeship. At the moment, apprenticeships are undergoing a comprehensive overhaul, with frameworks now switching to ‘standards’, which aim to make the structure of apprenticeships much easier to understand. Your advisor at Learning Unlimited will be able to tell you if your apprenticeship is still a framework or if it has switched to a standard.
For the latest information about the apprenticeship reforms, please check our website news section.
See what our Apprentices have acheived in the workplace
Are you thinking about becoming an apprentice?
If you’re seriously thinking about taking on the challenge of an apprenticeship or traineeship, it could become one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make.
If you choose to become an apprentice, it will only be the start of your career journey. How far and where it will take you is up to you, but whether you ultimately decide to start your own business, aim for promotion or managerial positions, or choose to go on to university, an apprenticeship will provide you with the best of both worlds by preparing you for the rigours of working life and higher level study. You’ll experience what it is like to work in industry and not have any debt to worry about once you have completed your studies. You will also have a recognised and respected qualification and real experience that modern employers are demanding.
With Learning Unlimited you will be supported throughout your apprenticeship or traineeship by our experienced team who will ensure that you are employed by a reputable and vetted business, and developing the right skills at the right pace in your work setting, so by the time you finish you’ll be fully trained and ready for the next challenge.
Learning Unlimited has 100s of vacancies available for you to choose from, ranging from roles in business administration and customer service, to jobs in engineering, construction, hospitality and social media. Whether you’re looking to be a creative marketer or someone who making fine dining dishes in a highly rated restaurant, you can find a wealth of opportunities with Learning Unlimited.